return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

Worst/Funniest West Texas trip ever?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aaron at Tue Jun 28 01:17:41 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aaron ]  

I just had possibly the worst trip I've ever heard of any regular alterna hunter having. It was so bad it was comical. I hunted 5 nights and the only live snake(yes that snake as in singular) I found the entire time was a single lone blindsnake, which I walked at Langtry on the top of a cut.

I did see one other live snake but I was not really hunting, just driving to the hotel after walking most of the night and it got off the road before I could stop and see what it was. It definately wasn't an alterna because it was too big and it was out in the flats far from alterna habitat. As far as DOR's I only saw one of those as well, it was a bullsnake in Val Verde county.

My hunting partners had a little better luck but still not very good. They found 1 baird's, 2 subocs, 1 nightsnake, 1 longnose and 1 atrox.

There was one really cool thing though. At Langtry a Border Patrol officer stopped to ask us a few questions and ended up showing us a picture on his digital camera of a snake he found - the snake was clearly an adult dark Blair's phase L. alterna. He said he saw it while he was driving the parallel dirt road on Hwy. 90 at night back in May or April.
-----
www.hcu-tx.org/

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Worst/Funniest West Texas trip ever? - chrisdrake, Tue Jun 28 17:24:36 2011