return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

GBR Press: Snake breeder dead after bite

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Elapidae ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: W von Papineäu at Wed Jun 29 12:46:04 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by W von Papineäu ]  

THE MIRROR (London, UK) 29 June 11 Snake breeder dead after being bitten by one of his own snakes
A snake breeder has died after being bitten by one of his venomous reptiles.
Police are investigating the death of the man in his 40s in Eastwood, Nottingham, today.
He is believed to be Luke Yeomans, a snake breeder who was due to open the King Cobra Sanctuary breeding colony to the public this weekend.
Nottinghamshire Police said officers were called at around 2pm to a property in Brookhill Leys Road, near Eastwood, where the man had suffered a suspected heart attack.
It is believed he had received a bite from a venomous snake, a spokeswoman said, and said he was pronounced dead at the scene.
She said the snake has been contained and there is no danger to the public.
"The RSPCA, Health and Safety Executive and Broxtowe Borough Council have been informed of the incident," police said.
"Nottinghamshire Police will investigate the circumstances surrounding the death in conjunction with the appropriate agency and will liaise with the coroner's office."
A spokeswoman for the Health and Safety Executive said they were aware of the incident and were making preliminary inquiries.
The King Cobra Sanctuary, based at Brookhill Leys Farm, offers people the chance to see the king cobras in the breeding colony.
Writing on its website previously, Mr Yeomans said: "The King Cobra Sanctuary was born from my lifelong love for this amazing snake species and my concerns that it could eventually disappear from the wild.
"Until mankind changes the way he treats the natural world, a living 'Ark' is required for the survival of many animal species.
"The King Cobra (Ophiophagus hannah), an end of the line apex predator, is certainly one of them.
"With 30 years experience of the King Cobra, myself and my daughter Nicole - now in our third year of the project, will maintain a breeding colony of this large and dangerous, but also misunderstood venomous snake."
Mr Yeomans recently told the BBC he was keeping the colony of adult and juvenile king cobras in a compound behind his house as a "safety net" to protect the species from possible extinction.
He said he started the project in 2008 in reaction to the depletion of the snake's natural habitat in forests of south-east Asia and India, and planned to breed another 100 snakes by the end of 2011.
He told the BBC: "People do say that I am mad but I say it's better than people saying you're bad.
"I think everything I am doing is good."
Snake breeder dead after being bitten by one of his own snakes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereGBR Press: Snake breeder dead after bite - W von Papineäu, Wed Jun 29 12:46:04 2011

>> Next topic:  IND Press: 15-ft long cobra caught - W von Papineäu, Tue Jul 12 07:12:14 2011
<< Previous topic:  Dendroaspis viridis - fangfatale, Wed May 4 12:54:53 2011