return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

questions about egg laying/clutches

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mexicana Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: cadmus at Fri Jul 1 13:07:13 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by cadmus ]  

I have five females that bred this year. I use a 300 gram cutoff for breeding females - the lightest this year was 316 at the time of mating. I used two very large males and in hindsight believe this may have been a mistake. I had two female retain eggs. Actually, i would really just suggest that they were delayed - as their progression down the length of the snake never indicated they were stuck. I have read on the internet and i cannot believe there were any nutritional issues, they are housed in rather large enclosures but i am not certain that they are getting enough "excercise, they are not obese (despite the feeding regime found below), they always have water and access to a moist hide. I am baffled. One female had 9 eggs (5 look good) with two to follow the other has 15 (13 look good) with three to follow. I believe my mistake was having them breed with large males. From here on out i will not be breeding anything under 3.5 yo. Any group consensus? Everybody (including the two snakes mentioned above) have been feeding ravenously since laying. Chasing motion the whole nine yards. These animals have never done that. I am feeding 4-7 adults a week for each of these females. Yesterday - when doing the thursday feed - i found the female who laid the nine eggs above (had laid a second clutch of 9 smaller eggs (5 look healthy - absolutely no issues). I did not want this to happen. I am now concerned that the other females may be doing this as well. I am at ~ 40 eggs right now - not including the second clutch. I could use any help, advice or experiences that may help shed some light on the "retained" eggs or the second clutch (no second breeding). Per usual, thank you very much.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are Herequestions about egg laying/clutches - cadmus, Fri Jul 1 13:07:13 2011

>> Next topic:  hypo greeri hatching. - shannon brown, Fri Jul 1 18:03:06 2011
<< Previous topic:  Babies Hatching & a Video - waspinator421, Fri Jul 1 10:55:09 2011