return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Multiple Egg Laying's

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Box Turtles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: norristhenut at Mon Jul 4 15:05:55 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by norristhenut ]  

My female boxie laid 3 eggs on June 14th, she had a real hard time with soil conditions and had tried the previous two days digging multiple holes
only to have them collapse. At 5:30 pm on the 14th she started another hole. This one was in a stable area only a little bit of an angle and unfortunately she started digging at about a 60 degree angle witch isn’t normally a problem except she is missing her front left foot and a stub for a leg thus causing her slide down a little as she dug. If that wasn’t enough she hit a small root from a tree causing her to not throw her dirt out as most dirt went back in the hole and she dug the hole all with her left foot not knowing her right foot wasn’t doing any good. From 5:30 till 12:30 am she would dig and slide, dig and slide I felt so sorry for that turtle and helpless to do anything. She finally laid three eggs at 1 am and filled the hole in by 2:30 am. The next day she slept till noon and I gave her night crawlers when she woke up 7 night crawlers where she normally would only eat one maybe two. It was a long night for her and me also.The first of the three eggs was one of the biggest eggs I’ve ever seen, a Guinness record I’m sure of.

Fast forward Yesterday about 5 pm my wife and I return from an outing, and I glance in the turtle pin and notice somebody doing something and Taylor our female who laid 3 eggs is digging another hole and she has quite a start as the hole appears very big already. I sit and watch her for awhile and guess it
will be another hour or two and go in and start eating dinner. Half way through dinner I tell my wife I better go check and make sure none of the males find her and disrupt her well I check on her I see she has started laying eggs, 3 already ! I go back and tell my wife and we return to another egg for a total 4 eggs.She seemed to dig this hole hole much faster and finished up by 8 pm. I put her in her house and dug up the eggs and added them to the 3 already incubating for a grand total of seven eggs.

I don’t know if this is common or not I kind of think she was so worn out from the first egg laying experience that she couldn’t go on and waited for another
opportunity. As I said I don’t know if boxies have multiple laying’s or not but mine did and it was quite an experience for us.
Thanks for reading

Alan

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereMultiple Egg Laying's - norristhenut, Mon Jul 4 15:05:55 2011

>> Next topic:  Finished my new outdoor pond - Linda G, Tue Jul 5 11:01:59 2011
<< Previous topic:  Aborting MBD/nutritional problems - Mmathis, Mon Jul 4 11:00:40 2011