return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Rubber Boa Gestation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rubber Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: StevePerry at Wed Jul 13 20:23:04 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by StevePerry ]  

Keep him cool and seperate from the females. Offer him live pinky mice if you can get them. I would put the pinkies in a dish out of the aspen and let them find them. I am not sure why, but over the years I have had a few that would not eat in the aspen. My current male, a wild caught will only eat pinkies and will never eat fuzzies. he will eat six or eight at each sitting too.
Keep in mind that seeing the animals copulate and marking the date of copulation has very little of no bearing on when they may drop babies. If you happen to see her ovulate then you can be somewhat accurate if you keep track of date and temperature.
Complete gestation in live bearing animals is not very differnent from egg laying animals. You just have to add the time of egg development to the equation. I have some notes somewhere that I have compared from ovulation in corn snakes to ovulation in sand boas with showed me that it was about 90 day depending on temps. Corn eggs hatch in about sixty at 83 degrees, add any where from 20 to 30 days(depending on basking temps)for egg development and you'll find they are very similar. You just get to see one of the steps sooner in egg layers.

only gravid females need the warm basking area. In a large enough set up you can offer it to both, but I have had males which loved the hot spot and did not do well. When I cooled them down and did not offer the basking temps, they started eating again and gaining weight. The cool side of there tank was low 70's with an 83 degree basking temp.
I will add however that when ever I have had a boa where the scales are seperating with stretching I have recieved babies. I also know with mine that it is not food causing the rapid frowth.
-----
Steve Perry
North Idaho.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Rubber boa question for Mr. Hoyer - rosybozo, Fri Aug 12 19:57:58 2011
<< Previous topic:  Rubber Boa Breeding ?'s - Jaiden2010, Fri Jul 1 23:07:24 2011