return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: 15 Yr Spec Caiman not eatting..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Crocodilians ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: BIGTANK at Wed Jul 13 13:03:22 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by BIGTANK ]  

"The 5ft Spec Caiman was moved about 5 months ago to a new enclosure. After two weeks she settled in and started eating, but never as much as when she was in her old enclosure. This past week I had her light off completely thinking she would relax in the dark and start being active. She’s in her own room with no noise or foot traffic. I'm starting to think maybe the problem is the city water. If anyone here has any thoughts about city water or any other ideals it would be greatly appreciated? "

some years ago I owned a dwarf caiman (palp), he lived in a kids pool for 1 year, he ated from tongs, leave his hide at day and was almos social... then I built an outdoor enclosure, and when took him out he got so scared and freaked that he never went out of his hide at day, only at nigth... quit eating for me, I leave food on a rock infront his hide, not always eated... some times he just taked food to water and let it there... he never get better...
also once bougth from a friend a pair of cb specs, they where about 2 1/2 ft each, healty and fat... great eaters... (I saw them grow up) when they arrived, their house was my 7 x 2 x 3 aquarium with 1 1/2 ft water... with a hide and dry area... I think it was the shipping, because they never eat by them selves again.. a friend of mine keep them, but force feed them every week
in the other hand, I just got 3 baby palps and I have grab them a few times... 2 of them still eat from tongs, an the 3th one eats from a rock, but still is a great eater...

It could depend on a lot of things, but think it could also depend on each caiman personality,

in the pics, one with my old dwarf... an other with the 3 new ones

best wishes

Rick

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  15 Yr Spec Caiman not eatting.. - vette, Sun Jul 10 16:45:56 2011 *HOT TOPIC*