return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Great looking generics.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aaron at Sat Jul 16 20:35:48 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aaron ]  

It used to be that one could buy and sell locality alterna based on just the name of the breeder/seller. That seems to be changing with the advent of the internet. Alot of people have made mistakes or been duped, it has always been that way. I think it's just that now with the internet these incidents are slowly being revealed.

A few years ago I began to trim my alterna collection down to where most of the alterna I have can be traced to animals that I caught. I have 277's that are my own stock but I also have other 277's that I can only trace to a collecter/breeder, not to the specific animals.

Prior to this thread I never felt the need to call them generics. I purchased my adults of this bloodline in the mid-90's before the internet, and easy picture exchanges, were the norm. Back when I purchased them it was common to send an SASE(self adressed stamped envelope - some people probably don't even know what those letters stand for nowdays, lol) and $1 for each picture. Getting pictures of the entire lineage was certainly not common. Most of the time you sent one or two bucks and just got a couple pics just to show what the bloodline looked like. In those days it was considered research just to be able to say what collecter/breeder you got them from and if they came from a respected collecter/breeder you were good to call them locality.

I am on the fence as to whether I should now start calling them generics. I am leaning towards representing them as I always have, 277's from so-and-so's bloodline. I don't think there is anything wrong with that because it's honest and prospective buyers can still decide for themselves whether or not that's enough information.

To be clear, in my case the breeder I got those particular 277's from was also the collecter. So I do have the lineage all the way back to the field collecter, I just don't have pictures of each specimen and since this breeder collected alot of 277's and I never asked, I don't know which individual specimens were used to produce the ones I got from him. I don't know if they are F1's, F2's, etc. I just know that he collected all the adults that mine descended from. Would these now be considered generics? I don't know. I never mixed them into the bloodlines that I collected so I still have 277's for which I could provide all the information and pictures anybody could want.
-----
www.hcu-tx.org/

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Great looking generics. - swwit, Sun Jul 17 03:49:53 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Great looking generics. - swwit, Sat Jul 16 13:35:36 2011