return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

First time Chamelon Owner Jackson Babies

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: endangeredjen at Sun Jul 17 18:03:59 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by endangeredjen ]  

I am a first time chameleon owner, I was going to buy an adult Jackson, but to make a long story short, ended up with 3 baby Jacksons. I live in Hawaii,came across someone who was selling them 3 for $10. I realize now that this was not such a bargain considering the care that is required for these animals. That being said, I do have the time, persistence and resources to care for them. I work from home and live very close to multiple pets stores. I have two males and one female. I was told that they are about a month old, small horns have started to grow, maybe they are a bit older (I am hoping). They are changing colors, but not to green as of yet. The bigger male is 3 inches long from snout to tail, the female is a bit smaller. I have had them for 2 days now, very nervous about them surviving but I'm willing to do my best. I bought an 18 x 12 x 20 inch screened cage for them. They have two pieces of drift wood and plastic non toxic plants in there. They are drinking and have been eating pinhead crickets, each one has been eating about three in a row. What I'm finding is that the crickets are hiding in the cage, no telling how many crickets are in the cage right now, which is not good. When will they be able to eat the small crickets? Each one is good at hunting, pretty proficient, although, sort of lost when the crickets go to the bottom of the cage. I've been misting about once every hour, whenever I see that the plants are dry, I was told that they need to be hydrated constantly. On the flip side, I did spray them a couple times and I'm finding that this is not good, and will make a point to not spray them anymore. The temperature in the cage is about 82 to 84, at night time is drops to about 72, 70 at the lowest, we are in Hawaii in summer, the humidity is very high here as well. It has been getting hot, this morning it was up to about 88 almost 90, I was worried and turned on the fans to cool down the room. Currently, they are in a brightly lit room, direct sunlight on half the cage in the morning, but I was thinking that this might not be such a good thing since the temperature did heat up so much earlier. When I woke up two were in the sunny side and once was on the shaded side. I have the option of keeping them outside later on, once they get bigger. Right now, they are not fighting at all, I do realize they need to be separated at some point. How do you think I am doing? I don't know when I should be feeding them, I fed them three times yesterday, I am worried that there are a lot of pinheads in the cage with them, all hiding... Any help would be great appreciated. I don't know what to look for if things are going south...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Jackson chameleon sleeping - campbellman23, Tue Jul 19 19:02:14 2011
<< Previous topic:  Bent veiled head crest - Jwarburton44, Wed Jul 6 18:29:13 2011