return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: How to kill

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Feeder Food Discussion ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: SnakeyLakey at Thu Jul 21 20:47:40 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by SnakeyLakey ]  

In the state of Oregon; you can buy frozen rodents; you can feed f/t rodents; you just can NOT store frozen rodents in the freezer, because that is proof of animal hoarding which is a felony with ridiculously stiff penalties. Rodents (perceived as cute and cuddly) seemingly have more rights than snakes (falsely perceived as dangerous). I do NOT agree with that regulation, but must abide by the crazy rules.

I got in trouble with the Humane Society in the Spring of 2008 (as some long time readers of this forum might remember), for having too many rats (about 100; all well fed and watered; all caged, though I will concede overcrowded). I was threatened with being charged with animal hoarding. Though, thankfully, that never actually happened. The upshot was that (against my will) my rats were executed and thrown in the trash; so that I didn't have anything to feed my extremely finicky Great Basin Gopher snake at the beginning of the very short time of year that my snake will eat. I was, also, told that I could NOT have ANY rodents in my freezer. Research on the internet then showed me that was because having rodents in the freezer is taken as positive proof that the felony crime of animal hoarding has occured.

I now have too many mice (more than the maximum of 10 animals total allowed per household, though still much fewer than the number of rats that I previously had), all because my snake won't eat, and it is illegal to freeze the excess.

Scroll down to the threads titled "Hoarders", posted on 12 Jan 2011; and "How to store frozen rats", posted on 10 Mar 2011.
Read the last right-hand-side paragraph here.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: How to kill - Nate83, Thu Jul 21 09:57:47 2011