return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Jackson chameleon sleeping

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Chameleons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: HerpZillA at Thu Dec 22 23:26:13 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by HerpZillA ]  

check a GOOD resource on that ssp on temps. sounds way high.

First 8 years ago I had a number of C j j not Mt.Meru Jackson. But I would seriously look into those temps. if my large cages got above 78 my adults would go down to the floor. and for babies I always read heat was even more an issue and I rarely had temps in their main are about 75-76. Again a diff sub species.

I got an order of WC jacksons and had them on my porch in a large screen cage thru Sept. I live in NE Ohio. it was so strange to be 55 degrees and the lights go on and they all start eating. I had far far more issues with temps to high and humidity not high enough. I recall babies need 90-100% humidity or their lungs dry out. Or what ever issues would be created from improper setup.

Following others suggestions I was never successful in rearing babies. i lot a lot of them So I got out of jax. My last setup was the best. Small screen cage tight metal screen. it slows evaporation. A Schefflera that world squeeze in the cage in a large pot with 3/4" gravel covering the dirt so they cant eat the dirt. and a drain in the bottom of the pot out of the cage. My watering system was high tech. A pail of water with 2-3 pin holes to allow drips. you can also add ice in the pail as the bucket allows the water to warm a bit before dripping. The drips went into the plant pot. if to much water the drain was there. KISS.

pins of course, but I found by accident that real fruit flies really excited the babies A LOT. So I would open my fruit fly containers near real fruit flies and put that culture in the cage with a small hole for flies to get out. So in the acge were a cinstant feed of wingless and regualr fruit flies. I also added some calcium to the media. I was never sure about that. but it seemed logical.

Adults were similar, but far far easier to do. They just ate me out of house and home lol.

Good luck. I hope to do a few jax again some day.
-----
Thanks for reading. Peace
Tom

www.HerpZillA.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  Jackson chameleon sleeping - campbellman23, Tue Jul 19 19:02:14 2011 *HOT TOPIC*