return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

New Baby RES, a few questions....

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Jenn_A at Fri Aug 5 21:23:46 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Jenn_A ]  

My husband rescued 4 babies, slightly larger than a dollar coin, a few weeks ago. It's been hot as hell, their water was drying up and the site is scheduled for construction. Releasing them is not a good option, been the hottest summer on record (112 today) and everything is dried up. Anyway, I do know some, and they are growing and doing well. Have the light, filter, hides, dock and feeding turtle chow, insects(mostly wild caught) and up until a week ago, wild caught minnows and small perch. So here are my questions:

Is there a reliable way to sex these guys? I don't want more!

Will they fight if kept together?

They are in a 10 gallon tank now, water level is to the top, and I'm not heating the water, as room temp is around 80. But how warm should the water stay once winter hits? Do not want hibernation.

Right now my snake is in 125 gallon tank, we are building her a new cage, and plan to move the turtles in there. How long can I expect this to be big enough for all 4? 6 months, a year? Will it be big enough to house 2 of them for the long haul?

Do I need to supplement calcium or anything else? I have a hard time trusting turtle pellets I get at wal-mart, and pet stores carry the same brands.

They LOVE the minnows, but the creek dried up. They were eating as many as they could catch(maybe 1 or 2 a day)as I'd catch 20 and then just dump them in the tank. Should I feed them this much? I think they'd eat live prey till their shells split if they could catch it.

Anything else I should know? I do know they take alot of work, are dirty, and generally not very good pets, but the whole family now watches them instead of TV! I think we'll deal with the down side! One last thing, how do you load pictures?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Does the "common slider" still exist? - Lenrely, Mon Aug 29 00:20:05 2011
<< Previous topic:  White spot on neck.. - Mouse2385, Sun Jul 31 17:59:30 2011