return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Learning about the racers.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Racers & Coachwhips ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: idothatforme at Mon Aug 15 14:29:33 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by idothatforme ]  

Hi there,
Keeping a racer is like keeping a kingsnake on crack lol. I have kept many racers, when i first started keeping racers i tried to tame them by handling them all of the time, which I don't recomend at first. I would leave the racer alone for a while, (a month or so.) Keeping the racer aggressive in the cage will make feeding a whole lot easier. When it comes to getting the racers to eat, I usually offer big racers small bite size meals at first using forceps or long tweezers. Usually a newly caught racer is going to strike at whatever moves in the cage; get the racer to bite the small frozen rodents, then back away.(If the racer is tamed right away by handling all of the time, it may be difficult to get them eating) If the food is small enough they will usually just swallow it, but if it is too big the spit it out. It can take time, but eventually they will accept whatever is at the end of the tweezers. When is comes to taming them, take them out of the cage with a hook and... avoid eye contact! the more you restrain them the more blood you lose lol. eventually they will beg to come out when you enter the room I found that it is easier to keep racers in sliding glass fronted cages. Good Luck!

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Learning about the racers. - KingDome, Mon Aug 15 19:07:19 2011

<< Previous Message:  Learning about the racers. - KingDome, Mon Aug 15 11:56:28 2011