return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Aspirating eggs vs. C-section.....Which?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Indigo Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Eric East at Tue Aug 16 21:32:38 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Eric East ]  

>>What's your experience/risks.....with either method?
>>I am trying to decide which method I should choose for my Indigo who has laid one egg about week ago (see thread below about egg bound Indigo), and still hasn't laid the other two....So now it's getting to "crunch time"
>>I know Eric East has had success aspirating his females' eggs after having a similar episode.......Anyone else have success with either method?
>>Is one method riskier than the other, or is the risk the same?
>>THANK YOU VERY MUCH IN ADVANCE for any input/experience that you share!
>>-----
>>"I am an expert on everything, but I know so little and have so much to learn!" -Carsten "Zee" Zoldy-

I have to admit I was a bit stressed out when I went through this and I was scared to aspirate but it really ended up being no big deal. The eggs were large enough to provide an unmistakeable target.
I had a friend hold her during the process to keep her from moving around and hurting herself. I used a sterile 18 guage (I think) needle and went through the belly, directly into the eggs and sucked out as much yolk as possible. For the most part she really didn't even react to it. There were a couple of times she flinched slightly but that was it. When we were done I treated the area with a triple anti-biotic cream.
Once the eggs were deflated she was able to pass most of them on her own. There was 1 or 2 that I had to assist her with buy gently massaging the eggs toward the vent.

I hope this helps!

Eric

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Aspirating-just a word of caution - johnnic, Wed Aug 17 09:29:22 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Aspirating eggs vs. C-section.....Which? - herbivorous, Wed Aug 17 22:51:23 2011

<< Previous Message:  Aspirating eggs vs. C-section.....Which? - BlueKing, Mon Aug 15 12:37:47 2011 *HOT TOPIC*