return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Sulcata eating sticks, etc

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Tortoises ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: zovick at Mon Sep 12 09:06:47 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by zovick ]  

Hi Amy,

A hungry sulcata will eat just about anything as you are finding out now. When I lived in CT in the early 1970's I had the first adults in the US and they literally ate me out of house and home during the winter months. Don't know where you live, but if you have access to pumpkins, they love them. Also the green and yellow summer squash that end up looking like small baseball bats are no problem for them. With the above items, just smash them on the ground to break them open, and the tortoise will do the rest. If you wish, you could cut them open, but smashing works fine. You can also keep one entertained for a fairly good amount of time by giving it a big head of cabbage.

I used wheat straw as bedding in those days, and often heard them crunching it up and eating it when they were hungry if there wasn't any other food available.

Also, your tortoise could break that chicken wire and escape if you aren't pretty vigilant. I know this from experience. One of my females about 13" long pushed a hole right through my similar fencing to get to some apples which had fallen on the other side. There was a piece of the fencing laying on the ground 5-6 feet away totally broken off from the rest of the fence, leaving a nice hole. Several days later, I found her about a mile and a half away.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Sulcata eating sticks, etc - ShadyLady, Mon Sep 19 19:08:53 2011

<< Previous Message:  Sulcata eating sticks, etc - ShadyLady, Mon Aug 29 11:43:39 2011