return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Calico ???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: sstephenson at Fri Sep 9 16:07:17 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by sstephenson ]  

I've seen photos of some stunning looking snakes, both Rosy Boas and Kenyan Sand Boas, referred to as calicos. I know that many of you may have some proprietary projects ongoing, so I'm not asking you to give up all your secrets...unless you want to :^) I have a couple of questions for those of you who are "in the know" if you don't mind.

First, can someone tell me what exactly the term "calico" means and does the term mean the same thing when it is applied to different species (Rosys, Kenyans, Balls, etc.)? It looks to me like the common characteristic is a random distribution of dark pigment leading to a patchwork pattern of light and dark patches interwoven with patterns from other pigments. Is this the general idea?

Both the general lack of information on the web on the subject and the fact that I haven't seen any calico phenotypes yet for sale tell me that the calico trait is probably not yet well understood genetically. Is this true? Any insight would be great.

Thanks,
Steve

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Litter - CBH, Sun Sep 18 21:56:57 2011
<< Previous topic:  Lizards for Saharan sand boas - ernestplutko, Sun Aug 28 10:10:37 2011