return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

75 g 'breeder tank' v 150 g. fish tank

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mperetz at Thu Sep 15 22:09:12 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mperetz ]  

Some background:
1. I have 2 rather large RES. A male with a 6 inch carapace and a female with about an 8" carapace.
2. They have lived together for years, but recently the neck biting behavior that the male does to the female got out of control. He chewed down to her flesh - which is bleeding.
3. The vet put her on 14 days of antibiotics - plus 2x/day betadine swabbing on the open wounds (which are literally openly bleeding).

4. The VET said that with 14 total inches of carapace it's likely that our 75 gallon all-glass typical aquarium (high sides, 17" deep) is now very inadequate, not to mention the fact that I had to use egg crate to separate these turtles so she wouldn't get any more injured by the male. So realistically they now have HALF the swimming space in a 75 gallon tank.

5. SO MY QUESTION IS: DO we get a 150 gallon standard aquarium, or as the local pet store owner suggested - would we be much better off with a 75 gallon BREEDER/REPTILE style tank that would give us much more 'surface area' (probably similar to a 150 gallon tank) but with lower sides... We only fill our current tank up half-way anyway to give the turtles room to get on their docks and bathe under the full-spectrum tubes.

My wife insisted that I ask for opinions from people who know turtles and not rely on the advice of some local pet store owner, and I don't think my vet knows this level of detail regarding what's best....

We also CANNOT afford to buy this tank NEW, so I need places to shop for used ones (aside from the obvious like Freeshare/freecycle/craigslist).
My Fluval 405 is only good for a 100 gallon tank - so I suppose it would work in the breeder tank somewhat but it's way too small for a 150 gallon aquarium.

I can salvage my tank hood with double light tubes and use a screen over the new tank, and I can put a strong board over our existing cabinet to substitute for having to buy an expensive stand.

So I'm going to need at the very least a TANK and 'maybe' a more powerful filter.

Since I've been unemployed for almost 4 years I have to do this as cost effectively as possible.

Any opinions and referrals very much appreciated. My email is matthew.peretz@gmail.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]