return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is it shell rot or something worse?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mperetz at Sat Sep 17 21:22:24 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mperetz ]  

I agree with everything you said. Except I don't understand why they have lived so well for so many years with NO basking light or basking area whatsoever - it's always sort of a paradox that people say what 'must' be done when you've literally gone through years of NOT doing exactly that and there is no difference.

Until he started biting her neck skin off down to the flesh, nothing whatsoever would have changed... I wouldn't have separated them. They would still have nothing but the suction-cupped on single turtle dock that they used to share together - -but absolutely no basking lamp...

Why does something 'work' that isn't supposed to work. Now, just because I have new 'information' I have to make radical changes. Well... really the radical change will be to get a second 75 gallon tank (nobody EVER answered me about whether it's better to get a breeder style geometry or a standard aquarium) and separate them.

I suppose I'll set up a basking light over the dock in each tank. But I still don't get why they never seemed to need it before... apparently the answer is that I 'got lucky.'

I'm going to do it properly. Despite the fact that the vet, who allegedly specializes in reptiles to whatever degree she really does... didn't mention adding basking lights or doing the betadine bath you recommend.

She did, however, have me make a betadine dilution (I used 1:100) and put it on the wound itself while she was out getting her antibiotic injection anyway.

Someone on another forum - I think the admin at redearedslider.com (who is VERY nice) suggested dry docking her overnight.

So there are a lot of suggestions and actions to immediately take I suppose. I think this dry docking idea is a good one. I think your basking light idea is probably the conservative way to go, esp. since HER shell when we started peeling off layers and layers had this black-ish gunk I managed to get all off... so her shell was obviously teetering on the brink of disaster (right)?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Is it shell rot or something worse? - Linda G, Sat Sep 17 19:53:30 2011 image in post