return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is it shell rot or something worse?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mperetz at Mon Sep 19 21:22:07 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mperetz ]  

I think you might be over-reacting to what I wrote - and probably I didn't convey what my vet said or didn't say very well. She wasn't exact or specific. She did think feeding them live fish was a good idea. She gave me 2 weeks of antibiotic injections. She did also tell me to do a betadine dilution on the wound. That was about it. But - today, a week after my visit, she called and spent over half an hour going over the ideas I've collected from both you and the admin, Steve, at redearedsliders.com. She thought dry docking her for the entire night (Steve's recommendation) was a good idea and was not concerned with dehydration as long as MU went back into the water during the day. She was NOT suggesting that I continuously feed them live fish. I needed to press her to be more exact - but in the end she said she'd give them a dozen a MONTH. She agreed with the triple-antibiotic lotion. She didn't think basking in a heat lamp for 8 year old turtles was crucial, as long as they have the full spectrum light, but she said it can't hurt IF my turtles would even take to it. I think they will, personally, because they have been coming up onto their magnetic docks lately, esp. MU. It has been Reptomin for years now. Nothing else. I was the one who thought of using Herpavite, which contains Beta Carotene - which can be converted to Vitamin A (I forget the biological process but the idea is that there is no risk of toxicity). They DO and DID have swollen eyes. Your method of dry docking is different from what my vet and the admin, Steve recommend. They are more aggressive about it given that it will give her shell and neck time to dry out. I am getting a second entire set-up tomorrow so they will be separated forever more. The vet wants me to bring her back for a look after about 3 or 4 weeks from the time the antibiotics started. She went out of her way to spend that much time with me on the phone discussing every detail - she had no comment about vegetables or fruits...

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Photo of serious injury to RES - mperetz, Fri Sep 16 13:14:56 2011
<< Previous topic:  75 g 'breeder tank' v 150 g. fish tank - mperetz, Thu Sep 15 22:09:12 2011