return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Meds ??

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Manny at Wed Sep 21 08:15:03 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Manny ]  

Hello Robert,

What I’m about to say below is to be taken as additional information. I am not a vet but have had years of experience with iguanids. I’ve been reading your posts and looking at your videos. I understand your frustration and compulsion to do more and more to make sure that he pulls through whatever is wrong but I cannot stress the fact that we sometimes do more harm with “care” than if we just left the animal alone and let nature take its course. I have dealt with thousands of lizards and iguanas to date and have seen my share of sick animals. Cycluras are built tough! They live in harsh environments and endure those elements. In my opinion, if they are unable to find an infection, your iguana may have a neurological problem which the current meds you are applying are not will not cure. I have seen iguanas that start as if they have something in one ear and kind of lean their heads towards it. If they are stressed into a fright and flight situation, they start spinning sort of like an alligator’s death role which looks like convulsions. I have seen iguanas survive this and live with this problem, such as people with Tourette syndrome.

I see that your iguana is agile (able to pick himself up and move efficiently) and has a thick tail which means it’s got a lot of reserves to keep him going. If he retreats to his hiding place then let him be. He needs rest when he feels he needs it.

I do not agree with your vet’s recommendation about intervening after 72 hours of refusing to feed. I would bump that number up to 120 hours(five Days.)and would not intervene with additional drugs. Iguanas can go for weeks without eating. The only thing that is a must is hydration.

In my years of experience, I have always found that direct, unfiltered sunlight is a critical part of an iguana’s essential needs when recovering from an ailment in the wild. I don’t know where you live, but I’m pretty sure that there is plenty of sun in your neck of the woods. My recommendation is to (if you don’t have a wire cage) buy a Rubbermaid tub, put some builders mesh on top of it and place him outside in a sunny spot. You’ll need to monitor him so he doesn’t overheat but I doubt that will happen. Make sure he is able to lay right in the sunlight. You may need to tilt the tub towards the sun since the walls may cast a shadow. Do this as much as you can.

If he is not demonstrating desires to feed on what you regularly feed him, offer him stuff that he will not refuse to eat such as crickets, pinkie mice, bright colored flowers(red Hybiscuss) fruits/veggies such as grapes or grated carrots.

I hope this helps,

Manny

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Meds ?? - RobertK, Wed Sep 21 08:42:08 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Meds ?? - RobertK, Wed Sep 21 18:34:21 2011

<< Previous Message:  Meds ?? - RobertK, Tue Sep 20 15:55:36 2011