return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

New Uros, haven't been well cared for.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Uromastyx ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: uros4me at Thu Sep 22 20:10:01 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by uros4me ]  

A couple of weeks ago I answered an ad for two ridiculouly low priced, unidentified uros. Turns out the owner was "into" snakes, but had had these two for aprox. a year. He was getting rid of everything, and these were all that was left. I'm almost certain they're Mali's.
Problem is, they'd been kept in a WIRE cage (2 ft. x 2 ft.) for the past year, with only a basking light. No provisions for uvb and no night time heat at all.
I was told that they were offered a varied diet but saw only shredded carrots in the food dish when I picked them up. I asked if they'd been supplemented at all and was told it had been tried, but they refused the food so supplementation was discontinued.
I'm a new uro owner myself,(have a 2 yr. Saharan, and 1 yr. Saharan, Mali, or hybrid???) but THINK the new ones are a pair. Apparently the previous owner got them together and has kept that arrangement. One is more robust and slightly "greener" than the other, but both are very dull in colour compared to photos I've seen.
I've been told they're aprox. 3 - 4 yrs. old, but have no way of confirming this.
They are very docile and sweet natured. I only handle them to clean their enclosure etc., but they remain calm. They were actually eating dandilion leaves within 20 minutes of arrival.
I've hired someone to build an enclosure, but in the meantime have them in a temporary wooden enclosure (3 ft.x 3 ft.) with a screen lid. I've added several large rocks (and some smaller ones)for climbing/hiding, and a natural log. For now, I'm using outdoor carpeting as substrata, which I'll be changing within the week when they're enclosure is ready. Very little of the floor area is exposed though,it's mostly large flat rocks with a couple "basking rocks", that I chose specifically for their height and upward slope.
I have a mercury uvb lamp for them in addition to a basking light, and a heat emitter at night. Temps. directly under the light are about 125 F., ranging to aprox. 85 F. at the far end.
At night their hiding area is about 85 F., but the other end of the enclosure is about 78 F. (I've never seen them there though)
WHile the weather is co-operative, I'm harvesting Rose of Sharon leaves and blooms (BIG hit), mulberry leaves, squash blossoms and leaves, dandilion, sow thistle, grape and plantain leaves.
They are eating well. Initially their stools were very loose, but over the past several days they've really firmed up. I can pick them up in tissue without them "sticking'.
As I was told, they do NOT eat anything dusted with calcium or vitamin powders so I'm offering crushed mazuri tortoise pellets and (a tiny amount of juvenile bearded dragon pellets) in an effort to make sure they get enough calcium.
One of the rocks has a natural "cup" in it that holds about an ounce of water. I fill it in the morning and HAVE observed them drinking. What they don't drink, evaporates within about 4 hours.
Just wondering if there is anything further I can do for these guys? Will they ever "brighten" up or must I be content with their fairly dull colours? Perhaps it's an "age thing", I don't know.
Looking forward to any suggestions or ideas.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Introduction of a new uro - boriscj, Sun Oct 2 21:48:11 2011
<< Previous topic:  Sudanese and Ornates - mastyxs, Tue Sep 13 18:52:17 2011