return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

new ackie with PROLAPSE!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Drizztice at Wed Sep 28 16:50:11 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Drizztice ]  

so I recently bought a pair of ackies....these guys were sold as a proven breeding pair. Saw em...had the enclosure...FR lent me a hand with some advice as per the UV lighting...

So Ive had them since Sunday...and I fed them on monday everything was cool humidity good...1 foot of dirt..etc etc etc. 130 bask spot .yada yada yada..

last night I get home and the male is dragging his intestine around ( rectal prolapse) so I got it back in with some sugar water, prep h and then some KY...this morning I go to check him out..he had some urine on his cloaca so I cleaned it off with some warm water..all was fine until I put him back in his cage...i watched as he climbed to the top of the cage applied pressure and then prolapsed his damn rectum again...this time I called the vet and went in at 1130am...

the doc did the normal exam and then checked his the ackies cloaca he said I needed an x ray/ stool sample/ purse stitch/ antibiotics and the stitches come out on Monday morn....

( he also gave me a boat load of bad husbandry advise...won't give it all to you but it included a screen top, heat blanket, and getting rid of the flood lamps...I ignored this stuff....)

so the reason I'm posting this is to find out if my little guy will make it out of this alive ( of course opinions only....I know u can't see the future)...I belive the previous owner had power fed him, was lax in monitoring humidity levels, and only low temped him with no high level temps...he also had him on bark....I figured impaction...doc looked at the x ray...no impaction.....so if u have dealt with this please let me know how u made out....and....if u haven't please chime in and tell me what u think I can do to keep it from happening again..

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new ackie with PROLAPSE! - Arashikage1, Wed Sep 28 17:58:29 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: new ackie with PROLAPSE! - FR, Wed Sep 28 18:49:19 2011