return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Still searching for a rubber boa

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rubber Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: RichardFHoyer at Mon Oct 10 00:38:09 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by RichardFHoyer ]  

Laila
It would seem you didn't heed my advice with respect to when to make searches. By your message of Sept. 29, it appears you have been out searching for boas at next to worst time of year to find the species----when it is hot (or warm) and dry in Calif. With my wealth of experience with the Rubber Boa, I don't think I could find the species during August and Sept. in the East Bay area --- and I wouldn't even try during that time of year unless a good rain storm passed through. Then I would get out fairly early in the morning before surface temperatures got too warm..

By your making searches during the past month, I don't think the time you spent was a total waste as you likely gained some familiarity with localities that might be searched
when weather and temperature conditions improve your chances. Did you find places in boa habitat that have artificial cover to turn? If not, then you are likely spinning your wheels unless you found areas with rock / rock outcrops in boa habitat.

I haven't lived in that region since I was 15 but it would seem to me that the second season for finding the species would be after you have had a couple of fall rain storms accompanied by much cooler night time / early morning temperatures and day time temperatures in the 60's.

I suspect the time frame for such conditions might be from mid Oct. through mid to late November and possibly even later. I know the species can be found in the Santa Cruz Mts.
during the winter months of Dec., Jan. and Feb. when sunny conditions occur along with suitable temperatures but I am not certain if that holds true for the East Bay---but I wouldn't be surprised if it does as well.

Current plans are to travel to Calif. either in late April or early May as I have almost every year since 1993. I wish to visit Tilden Park when south so if you still haven't found a boa by then, you can contact me at charinabottae@earlhlnk in mid April and if you wish, you can accompany me to the area a large female boa (27" was found quite a few years ago.

Richard F. Hoyer

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Finally got a rubber boa! - CarlKoch, Mon Dec 5 20:16:11 2011
<< Previous topic:  General Rubber Boa care - mbrawley, Wed Sep 7 11:11:26 2011