return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: For the both of you.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Oct 2 10:30:32 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

First, the comparison of one monitor picking a UV bulb over a non UV bulb, of the same temp, raises many questions like, what was the non UV bulb? A incandesent, halogen, flood, spot, combo, etc etc etc. And what was the temps? What resulted from that choice, what became of the monitor? ETC. In short, a monitor sitting under a bulb is totally worthless information, not to be mean, but it is worthless information.

The point is, did that bulb allow the monitor to achive life events, decent growth, reproduction, longevity and more????? Did the UVB bulb increase or add to that? If the monitor simply choose to sit under a certain bulb, and it did not benefit it, then it was a poor choice.

I have posted this before. To bask IS not part of life events for a monitor. Its a tool to reach operating temps. Normal operating temps, allow the monitor to accomplish life events.

Normally during their active season, they almost never bask. That is non aquatic varanids. Aquatic varanids bask a lot, and they do so because normally water temps are below their operating temps. They are required to bask to elevate their body temps BACK TO NORMAL.

As far as I can tell, a monitor thats body temps is where it needs to be to meet whatever function is going on, avoids direct sunlite, like the plague. In fact, most reptiles do. Some never bask in the open.

Which leads to this. From my own field work, and I have seen thousands of wild varanids in the field of many species, Only a very very very small percentage if individuals in a givin area, bask at all. You know, a very small minority of the population and normally they have particular reasons for basking. Which is, a extremely low body temp, and a real need for a higher body temp.

When they do bask, they attempt to bask for the very shortest amount of time. I imagine is fairly dangerous to stay out in the open, particularly when the monitor is not at full operating temps. THere are exceptions, very large individuals like large water monitors are very careless about that and with good reason, they are too large for most predators. That and considering the places they normally choose to bask are already proven safe from the remaining predators. Also those basking areas must include escape routes that are proven, like water, holes, hollows, crevices, etc. That is in nature.

In captivity, the task of a basking area is the same, its to allow the monitor to achieve its preferred body temps in the shortest amount of time. Once the body temps are reached, the monitors then go about their business, to dig, to climb, to hunt, to complete internal tasks such as digesting food or developing eggs etc.

Growth in varanids is accomplished at a fairly wide range of temps. But in the lower temps, fat placement becomes a problem as well as calicum placement.

Now for the original poster again. You can ask for opinions all you want, but here there is a real problem. 99% of the keepers you ask, have never allowed their monitors any real life success, and in fact, the vast majority have their charges fail, die, or sold off in less then a year.

So a much better question would be, What is the value of UVB bulbs and what were the longterm results.

In a nutshell, my recomendation is based on having a few dozen species, go through many generations and achieve very successful results in growth, reproduction and longevity.

Growth, reproduction and longevity are the goals that success is measured by. Not my monitor sat under a bulb and smiled at me. The quality of husbandry is measured during times of extreme usage, like rapid growth and heavy reproduction.

An individual static varanid doing nothing but sitting in a cage, requires very little.

So what I recomend is, newbies first create actual realistic goals and expectations, then ask questions that will lead to achieving your monitors goals and your goals.

As I have also mentioned about a million times, I have kept Varanids, outside since 1991 and inside and both. All are raised inside without UV bulb expousure until they are adults. 2/3's are kept inside their entire lifes.

The only difference is, the outside varanids get sunburnt and tan. That is after they shed, the outskin becomes darker. Much like us.

There is no difference is bone density or any other health concern, in fact, the inside varanids tend to live much longer.

As far as I know, there is no UV bulb that comes anywhere near the sun. Not even close, not the ones available to us keepers. SO are comparison was with the best UV bulb, the sun.

Most are so lame, that in actual fact, they are only a tiny tiny tiny bit different then any regular bulb. Then they become totally lame as we normally do not keep them close enough to the varands to actually do what they say they do.

Most UV bulbs are measured AT THE BULB and not at the distance we normally keep the bulb at for other husbandry reasons. Most UV bulbs deteriorate very very quickly, that is, from the moment you buy them, they become like any other bulb, within a couple weeks. All have a short recomended use life. All are expensive.

I was once asked what if I used UV bulbs. First, we are fortunate to have achieved very very superior results with our varanids, without UV bulbs. In the actual areas of concern, growth, reproduction and longevity. THat question was asked after about ten years into our success.

My answer then was, If I was to use UV bulbs and I followed the manifacturers recomendations for replacement. It would have cost me about 2 million dollars during that time. Compare that to the less then quarter million I spend on regular bulbs. Which is a pain in the bum as it was.

And what was I going to achieve over what I already achieved. I already recieved very superior results. In truth, my results were so far past everyone elses, they ran and stuck their heads in holes. Those others are the ones telling me I NEED to use UV bulbs.

In actual fact, that 1 3/4 million dollars I saved by using regular bulbs, I indeed invested in better cages, better temp control and the most important of all, MORE FOOD for the monitors.

So yes, save the friggin money and invest it in more better cages, or take a friggin cruise to Aruba. or for those from the UK, take a cruise to Tabogo, that island is full of folks from the UK and the eateries are normally french. Rent a Moke and circle the island and cross over the middle. Stop at the park, its beautiful. To something of value. Cheers

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: For the both of you. - shottz, Sun Oct 2 11:04:31 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: UVB Lighting for monitors - murrindindi, Sun Oct 2 07:13:45 2011