return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: The wacky world of the internet..

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: 19cobra93 at Thu Oct 6 17:34:42 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by 19cobra93 ]  

I find it interesting that sav keepers (the majority of the new ones) have this laundry list of ground meat and bugs and dustings and "treats" they feed their sav to provide it the nutrients it needs. Yet, they don't get that something whole and simple like a mouse will replace all of it. Why would you even want to feed it all those things when one simple food item will work and is proven? If you're feeding your monitor a food that has to be dusted with nutrients to be complete, wouldn't that suggest it's not the right food item?

Before I got my Black Throat 6 years ago I read all the care sheets and internet postings, and it was common to hear suggestions of ground turkey and roaches and crickets and dust them with this or that, but then I'd talk to guys who'd raised and bred them for years and said not to waste my time with all that stuff and just feed them whole prey. It just makes sense.

It would be like eating a pizza. You eat a slice or two and you're done. It's simple, quick, and effective. But then your neighbor says he's got a better way. He eats; flour, salt, sugar, tomatoes, basil, cheese, pepperoni, green peppers, onions, olives... Well, hopefully you get the point. Yeah, you could eat all that stuff to get the same result. Or you could just eat one thing and make it easier on everyone.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: The wacky world of the internet.. - FR, Thu Oct 6 12:06:22 2011