return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: It is a bit late, part II

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Calparsoni at Mon Oct 10 15:13:29 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Calparsoni ]  

All said with a block base which is much cheaper and more sturdy than plywood (after you coat it with God-knows-what.....those fumes will be great too...tell Jim Morrison I said hi lol.) if you insist on using plywood it will not work how you are building it. It is not going to be structurally sound and is going to fall apart when you fill it with dirt after you have spent a lot of money on it.
IF YOU INSIST the first thing you will need to do is dismantle what you have done now and build a proper frame first. Attaching plywood to 4x4's that are basically freestanding is not going to work. Using 4x4's is an excellent idea HOWEVER in order to join them properly and have a frame you can attach plywood to and have the plywood properly secured is going to require mortise and tenon type of joinery (timber framing) which is most likely a bit beyond your skill level (not to mention requiring extra specialized tools like chisels and a mallet, specialized saws etc.) even then doing mortises and tenons on 4x4's is tricky as 4x4's are a bit small for timber framing and tend to split easily if you are not careful.
I would suggest going and getting some books at home depot or tractor supply on basic carpentry and study up on basic framing. I mention tractor supply because books on building small barns and out buildings and animal enclosures are great and can help you think a bit outside the box (so-to-speak) from standard frame home construction which you will need to do. You will ultimately want to build a hyper-reinforced frame to put your plywood on. There is more I would advise at this point but I don't want to all day on kingsnake. You may find if you go the plywood route that it would be cheaper to cover the plywood with a concrete fiber board product such as Hardee plank and seal the corners accordingly. All that said building a base out of blocks is a much cheaper option. Good luck on your cage. BTW if you look through my posts on here I keep waters as well.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Male or female? - dav46, Mon Oct 3 08:08:19 2011
<< Previous topic:  UVB Lighting for monitors - shottz, Thu Sep 29 20:01:54 2011