return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Raising Mice for Kenyan Sand Boas

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Sand Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ernestplutko at Tue Oct 4 11:23:34 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ernestplutko ]  

Mice are expensive to buy so I find it better to raise my own. There are many strains of mice. Some are docile and some are nervous and wild. The all white mice are the most docile. You can lift them by their tails and they don't try to climb up themselves and bite you. I used to make cages out of sheet aluminum but now use Sterilite brand 16 quart plastic boxes. Mice don't chew through these. Make a frame from 1.5 inch X 0.75 inch thick pine boards. Make the frame so it fits over the top of the cage. Staple .025 inch hardware cloth to the top of the frame using small staples hammered in. Get metal grommets with 3/8 holes and place one near the edge of the frame. These are two piece grommets that are hammered using the tool that comes with the grommets together through the wire mesh. Get plastic water bottles with stainless steel tubes. I use pine shavings that are cheap for the bedding. Mice eat their babies unless you take precautions. Put one male and three females in each cage. Old females eat babies so get rid of them. Old is over one year old. More than two males in a cage will cause vicious fighting and the babies get eaten. Make sure there is always plenty of food in the cage or the babies will get eaten. I feed pelleted pig food, whole grains, and old fruit cheaply bought. Mice eat far more than you might imagine so be sure the food is there. I keep ball pythons to eat the surplus males and old females. Often when you put unacquainted mice together they don't have babies for some time. Sounds dumb but it is true.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Kenyan Neonate Care - Saracen, Wed Oct 5 12:21:36 2011
<< Previous topic:  Litter - CBH, Sun Sep 18 21:56:57 2011