follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med TurtleLog  
click here for  Animal Specialties
Live Reptiles, Cages, Feeders, More...
Online/Stores/Expos - LLLReptile.com
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Monitor . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Cribo . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Kissimmee - Oct. 21-22, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon Denver - Oct. 21-22, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Oct. 21 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Oct. 21, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Long Island Reptile Expo - Oct. 22, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Richmond Reptile Expo - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  ReptiCon West Palm Beach - Oct. 28-29, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Mid Atlantic Reptile Expo - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Amph & Reptile Society Meeting - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . .  All Ohio Reptile Show - Oct. 28, 2017 . . . . . . . . . . 

full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Are Jebo filters worth considering?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mperetz at Sat Oct 22 20:01:16 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mperetz ]  

Actually, I ended up buying a Rena XP3 that should be quite powerful enough for the 35 gallons of water in this 55 gallon tank. I had to decide between that and another 405, so I figured I'd give another company a try, since the Fluval has been a huge pain to get started probably since shortly after I bought it 6 or so years ago. It's been 'reliable' in terms of longevity and has great flow rate, but I ALWAYS spend about 30 minutes trying to get it started the way the manual says, and then I give up and fill the filter first and usually it starts right away after that. It's also grown louder lately, and I'm not sure why - initially I thought it was because I lost the rubber piece that goes in the impeller well at the bottom of the ceramic shaft - but I 'think' I replaced that piece properly today and it's just as loud. Also, just sealing the canister on the 405 has lately grown difficult, so I thought, "I need to lubricate the large gasket. I did that, but it's still not as 'closed' as I'd like to see it - or as it had been in the past. Luckily, it's not leaking since I lubricated the gasket - but I don't like the trend overall. So now that I have this one month old Eheim ecco pro 80 (model 2236) that proved to be wonderful to use, and silent, I was very upset that I didn't think through the fact that it has HALF the flow rate of the Fluval - or the XP3. So now I have to sell the eheim on Craigslist- obviuosly for a significant loss (thank goodness it wasn't a fortune to begin with). It was my mistake - it's only good for 150 GPH - and now I have to suffer for my ignorance - since the Fluval is over 300GHP and so is the Rena that should arrive shortly. Oh well - live and learn. When these manufacturers say that a filter is 'good for' a certain size tank they are right when it comes to fish - MAYBE. But when it comes to turtles, the main thing I've learned is that you need POWER so that there is powerful mechanical filtration going on.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Are Jebo filters worth considering? - Linda G, Sat Oct 22 17:33:03 2011