return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: new savannah monitor.. prolapse?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: ree at Wed Oct 26 19:55:20 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by ree ]  

Hi Mike,

Forgive me, I have not read through all of the posts.. I scanned them. I scanned yours too. But, I did see the photo and got a general consensus of what was said.

In my experience, I have seen this before. Unfortunately, not with any monitor but with a baby tortoise. I'm not sure if you specified exactly-- if the structures are constantly exposed and do not go back in? If so, the animal is prolapsed- to answer your question.

It appears the surface on the skin looks a little infected. I have not seen many of these and so perhaps I am wrong. The area does appear blistered and irritated. With the tortoise, his eventually receded and we were very happy for this. We applied neosporin to the area daily (and I'm not sure this is needed), proper care and eventually it receded back in to normal. Ideally, you shouldn't have to apply neosporin or any other medication if the animal is given optimum care. A lot of health issues can be cleared up with good husbandry.

..This incidence is very likely due to poor husbandry that supported such an event. It is possible the monitor everted and when doing so, got dirt on the area promoting this issue. Regardless, this is simple speculation and does not matter much--what is most important and relevent to you now is that you offer the best you can and perhaps even a vet visit.

And I have to respond to your response to Robyn. You must realize that it DOES matter what you are offering to your lizard. Yes, you received him this way and his husbandry was improper, but your husbandry will be key in supporting him in the potential of getting and staying better.. best. Your husbandry DOES matter. Right now.. what he (or she) is being given. He/she will use what he has available to him. So, please do listen to the advice given to you. Especially in bumping up your temps, your humidity and the size. Choices are important. Cool, hot, basking zones at the right temp, ranges, hides, substrate depth, etc.

What was the monitor eating.. and what are you now feeding him/her? How is his/her appetite?

Also, try to post a picture of the whole monitor, if you're able.

Thanks,

Mary

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: new savannah monitor.. prolapse? - FR, Thu Oct 27 14:16:18 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: new savannah monitor.. prolapse? - MikeV1, Mon Oct 24 01:01:56 2011