return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

Overly Agressive Blue Tongue Juvenile

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Skinks ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Hellmutt at Wed Oct 26 18:07:33 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Hellmutt ]  

Fairly certain it is female, though she's still a little young for behavior sexing with my male Bluey.

She is under a year, though I am not actually sure how old she is. She is agressive towards hands only. I have handled her with the use of some leather gloves, with her hissing profusely and nipping at the gloves at least 6 to 8 times during each handling session of about 30 minutes at a time. She bites the leather gloves hard, and holds on for seconds. However, if while I am handling her, she manages to crawl up my shoulders, she changes completely, and will curiously poke her tongue out, like my domesticated Bluey does. But as soon as my hands come to pick her up from my shoulders, she hisses again, and the demon comes back out. This has been going on for nearly a month, with limited results. She refuses to be handled without nipping at least 5 or 6 times at the gloves, and it only gets worse if I try to go glove-less.
Her condition is fine. Her cage is at the proper temperature, a backing side of 100, and the cooler side that stays between 80 and 85. She eats her veggies as well as insects VERY well, and will tear into a pile of greens unlike my older finicky eater. She loves to eat off of a spoon, especially her greens and fruits, but even then she attacks the spoon like it were prey, which is something my other skink has never done. She is fed outside of her cage as a precaution, to teach her everything that comes into the cage is not food to be snapped at; but it seems nothing is working. She is a gorgeous skink, but I am not going to have any animal that will bite me.

Does anybody have any suggestions I should/could try before having to give up on this gorgeous girl?

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Has anything gotten better - Linda G, Sun Nov 20 11:54:22 2011