return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

Type/order filter media Rena XP3???

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Red-eared & Other Sliders ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: mperetz at Fri Oct 28 21:25:54 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by mperetz ]  

I just got a Rena XP3 for my 6" Red Eared Slider who lives alone (finally) in a 55 gallon tank that's filled about half way.
My only experience with Filters and media has been 7 years with my Fluval 405, and I have that worked out fine.

I don't have a clue as to which media I should use and in what order in the 3 baskets that this Rena XP3 has.

If there is someone out there that has this specific filter and could help me with what's right for a 6" RES, I would be deeply indebted - right now I basically put it together in the order the factory says to - but I'm guessing that that's for fish, of course, and not necessarily ideal for aquatic turtles. I had a box of eheimMECH that I threw into one of the half empty trays that one is left with using what comes with the filter - I'm not even sure if that is a good or bad idea....

I don't want to interfere with the flow rate too much - we know turtles need a lot of it.

I just have no clue - maybe even someone with a similar type of canister filter with 3 trays can give me the same answers as someone who actually owns it? Right now, I am not seeing the crystal clear water that my 405 ALWAYS gives me (despite its priming problems) and I'm concerned that I'm using too much or too little or the wrong order of something.

Please help! I can do a water change - this water is inherently "old" and has been there since before there was even a filter at all - and then went through an eheim 2236 ecco pro 80 that was severely underpowered (and I'm selling). So maybe that's the problem? I just never experienced this with my 405, which always clears up whatever water I 'throw at it.'

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration. I guess if nobody knows I will call Rena on Monday.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

• You Are HereType/order filter media Rena XP3??? - mperetz, Fri Oct 28 21:25:54 2011

>> Next topic:  monitor/turtle - anthonyf78, Wed Dec 28 17:08:05 2011
<< Previous topic:  Wild Red-eared Sliders - tspuckler, Wed Oct 26 14:12:15 2011