return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Question about Lewisi hybrids

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Cyclura & Ctenosaura ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Really at Wed Nov 2 13:21:25 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Really ]  

My socialization protocol... sounds fancy. LOL

Basically, what I do is try as much as possible to just sit with new iggies. This becomes more possible once they are in enclosures big enough to sit in. Sebastian is currently in the master bathroom and I take my Kindle and go sit in there and read, usually out loud. Before that, I sat next to the enclosure he was in just the same way. As soon as I am able to get a leash on an ig, I start taking them outside so that they start associating the leash with something good. You can also offer them a special treat if they let you put the leash on without alligator rolling. Once they will wear a leash outside we start taking them places. The various pet stores and garden centers allow pets and we've also been successful bringing them to Home Depot and I've heard Half Price Books has a pet friendly policy. People start coming up to them and they just seem to learn to accept it. Kismet doesn't just tolerate it but actually seems to enjoy the attention. I know it doesn't stress her because (1) she knows the word car and when out front will run straight for the van and (2) she'll come home from an outing and go straight for her food bowl. She's even been known to eat while out. Recently at the organic garden center, Sebastian had a nice time munching on the hibiscus flowers while they were still on the plants, so I don't think he could have felt too badly stressed. Tazumal has only been on one short outing since the leash is too big for him and I'm afraid of losing him!

As soon as I feel the igs are ready they go to schools and we give talks about iguanas. It wasn't at all long before Sebastian felt comfortable being petted by the kids. My two older igs don't seem to be bothered at all about squealing kids or other loud noises or by people coming in and out. I dont' know if is anything I've done, or if I just got lucky.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Question about Lewisi hybrids - LaurieCrabb, Wed Nov 2 14:44:46 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Question about Lewisi hybrids - madwhitehat, Thu Nov 3 08:56:11 2011

<< Previous Message:  RE: Question about Lewisi hybrids - Really, Wed Nov 2 13:20:20 2011