return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: REALITY CHECK

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Venomous Reptiles ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Viktor at Tue Nov 22 01:43:21 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Viktor ]  

Although I don't think the harsh, occasionally offensive attitude of the previous poster is entirely necessary, I would like to point out a few things and ask a few questions.
1) Why Bend? One of the main things that a serpentarium needs, regardless of the donations, animal and venom sales revenues, and occasional grants, is attendance. Without being near a major metropolitan area it will be tough to survive. If you are going to have a successful operation, you may need to think of another location. From what I have seen, Bend is just not enough of a population center to support such an undertaking.
2) Why jump in all at once? Although the exhibits you are planning sound marvelous, it will take time to build up the visitor numbers that you need to support such vast exhibits. Most people who acquire hundreds of animals in a short amount of time get in over their heads, and I think you may be one of them. Take it slow. It's tough to do when you have such grand ideas, but I guarantee that it will pay off in the long run.
3) Learn from those who came before you. You are not the first person to try and open a serpentarium in Oregon. Gather more information, make contacts. When you think you have enough information to not make the mistakes that they did, keep learning.
4) Don't ask for money. I know it seems harsh, but if this project fails, you'll have a lot of people who aren't too happy with you. They may not necessarily want their money back (although I would), but it will tarnish your name for future endeavors.
These are just a few things to think about. Don't think that I am saying I know the one right way to do things, just take these thoughts as what they are: food for thought.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Aberrant Adamanteus - chance37, Fri Nov 18 08:42:22 2011
<< Previous topic:  San Antonio HOT SHOW - Texasreptiles, Thu Oct 27 19:56:32 2011