return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Wow! What a Visual Feast!!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rat Snakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: jarra at Wed Nov 23 02:12:33 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by jarra ]  

Thank you for the nice words!
Yes I love to watch my snakes and they are much more active in an environment with climbing possibilities etc. I try to fix them new settings every now and then to keep them active. The only problem is the floor material as it has to be easy to monitor and to keep clean.. So i't not very naturalistic. I use bark chips for most of them, peat for the moisture-needing ones and pellets for the large ones.

I would love to see your naturalistic snake terrariums! Here one more pic, this is an aquaterrarium with some aquatic frogs. I also have a mist-maker in there and a nice mist curtain on top of the water, but it's not on at this pic.

About the Yellow: I don't know, I have alwayst thought of him as a Yellow because he is so different from the red Everglades male. Here a couple of more pics of the boys together to show the difference. I housed the big boys together in a large terrarium for a couple of months last winter, to observe their natural behaviour (I'm a biologist so I'm interested in this)(and yes they did fine, no aggressions or stress symptoms what so ever). Here they are:

the difference in eye colour

(this was not the big terrarium but a smaller place to introduce them to another)

Oh, if he is an Everglades too, I would love to know the magic words to swift the sex to a female instead.. hee hee..
There are not so many ratsnake-keepers here in Finland and not many snakes either so it's really hard to find a female for the everglades. I know there are a few in Sweden but not for sale, so at this time I have to wait for a future baby from them.. Or go and seek the european markets. It's kind of lonely up here north.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Yearling bairdi looking great! - Kevin Saunders, Thu Nov 24 23:23:46 2011
<< Previous topic:  ID please? - jarra, Mon Nov 21 08:11:43 2011