return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
pool banner - $50 year

RE: A collecting vacation

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Gray-banded Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Aaron at Tue Nov 29 00:20:19 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Aaron ]  

Generally speaking dark of the moon June is the best month to look for graybands and most other snakes too. Also graybands are easier to find in the eastern portion of their range, basicly between Sanderson and Hwy. 277. Once you get west of Sanderson it becomes alot harder to find a grayband.

Langtry is probably the easiest spot to find a grayband. No matter where you want to hunt you should consider staying at The Outback Oasis in Sanderson for at least part of your trip. There are good spots right there near Sanderson, plus it is within reasonable driving distance to Langtry.

The main reason to stay there though, is because it's owned by a herper named Roy. Roy can help you pick some good places to hunt, help you with the laws and give you some tips on proper hunting etiquette around other herpers. You will need to get your license before you get to Sanderson though because I don't think there is anyplace that sells them in Sandersoon. I believe it's the "Special Non-Resident Nongame Hunting License" and it can be either a 5 day(around $45) or a year long(around $135). Plus you will need the new reptile stamp($10?), I'm not sure what it's called.

I don't think there's any laws against a Canadian collecting stuff but there might be laws about bringing stuff out of the USA and into Canada. I once saw a guy from Canada collecting. He said that he had friends with import/export licenses and was just going to give his catch to the one guy in the USA and have him ship it to the other guy in Canada. All perfectly legal to do it that way but I guess you'd have to know the people involved well enough to know that you can trust them.
-----
www.hcu-tx.org/

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  post pics? - cbconst, Tue Dec 6 10:36:44 2011
<< Previous topic:  Couple of photos to liven things up - HeavenHell, Sat Nov 19 14:00:45 2011