return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Cooling Rosy Boas...

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Rosy Boas ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: markg at Wed Dec 21 13:18:17 2011  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by markg ]  

I couldn't say what the the "best" plan is, but I can tell you that rosies seem to do very well breeding-wise with nothing more than a reduced light cycle for the cage for 2-3 months and most of the cage in the 55-65 deg range even if you still provide a heated end of the cage.

My advice to you is to not go too low in temps with rosies. Err on the high side. 55 deg is actually plenty low for them (a day or two or three of lower temps will not hurt, but try to keep it reasonable). Mine bred just fine with temps not lower than 60 deg (often warmer), and I still provided a warm area on one side. Of course these were Baja, Mexican and coastal rosies, so that plays into the equation. But I did do the light cycle thing, and that goes a long way with rosies. It is not just temps alone.

I've had males successfully inseminate females with no forced cool period, although much of the cage was obviously cooler during the Winter months, so cool temps were available as needed. Always do the light cycle thing, what a difference it makes. You'll see.

Make sure that if the temps get below 55 the cage is absolutely dry. Cold and dry is survivable for them. Cold and damp is not good at all. Kingsnakes can do it but not rosies. They aren't kingsnakes and should not be treated exactly like kings.

Also, rosies need alot more heat to digest food after a cool period, compared to kings. Rosies take time, due to their mass, to warm up. Do not skimp on a basking area with rosies. They use it much longer with more of their body on it compared to kingsnakes. I make this comparison because so many people want to treat rosies exactly like a kingsnake. There are noted differences, even if slight, in their husbandry. Good luck.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  Thanks... - Amp, Wed Dec 21 20:34:08 2011
>> Next Message:  RE: Cooling Rosy Boas... - csr, Sat Jan 21 14:47:55 2012

<< Previous Message:  Cooling Rosy Boas... - Amp, Tue Dec 20 00:05:24 2011