return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
pool banner - $50 year

Cool Weekend

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Blood Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: joshtrout at Mon Jan 9 11:48:42 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by joshtrout ]  

So this weekend was the L.A. Super show here in California. It was at the Los Angeles fairgrounds in Pomona. I could walk to it if I wanted to, which is pretty awesome. Feels really good to go to a reptile show in California again. I missed them. When I was back east I would go to the Repticon shows which were fun. But I didn't know many of the breeders, and I felt kind of out of place. Nothing against those shows whatsoever. I did have a good time going to them.

While I was at the show I made my annual donation to USARK, and had a chance to talk to Andrew Wyatt, which is always fun. Discussed an idea I had about a fundraiser I was thinking about, he seemed receptive which was cool. That night I also attended the USARK get-together and auction. I had a good time, but I'm pretty sure my wife didn't. But, that's ok. She probably didn't like the 7$ beers, which I didn't really either. But it was for a good cause, so what the heck.

The really cool thing about this show was getting to meet Philippe De Vosjoli and Robert Mailoux!!! I loved the Vivarium magazine when I was growing up, and read most of Philippe's books as a teenager. Robert Mailoux was somebody I looked up to as a kid with his Sandfire Dragons (also he co-authored the bearded dragon book with philippe). Without their book, I probably wouldn't have had the success with breeding Bearded Dragons I did in 1997 as a punk-kid. So there I am at this show just walking around, and it is packed. I spotted Philippe, and Robert with him. I did a double take. I have never met these gentlemen, only seen pictures of them, so it took me a couple of minutes to make sure it was really them. Once I was sure it was them, I walked up to them and thanked them for all they had done for the hobby, and how their writing had such an impact on me as a child. It was totally awesome. The funny thing is nobody seemed to know who they were. I mentioned to the guys at freedom breeder that they had just walked by their booth and they had no idea. Sad. Is there any respect for the Pioneers?

*On a side note: Kerry King from Slayer was also at the show. He had quite the following. I could care less.
-----
Josh Trout

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Cool Weekend - PHFaust, Mon Jan 9 23:16:48 2012