return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Some thoughts

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Wed Jan 11 11:46:40 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

As I see the list, I wonder about a couple of things.

Shouldn't we consider the danger of the species as well? I keep croc monitors and Lacies, and I love lacies, but they can bite the holy dogbeans out of you. Either on purpose or accidently. But to the part bitten, its the same.

Also housing. The larger monitors are very difficult to house for most people.

I have kept and bred many many species of varanids. And without question, the more cage you have, the more fun it is for the keeper.

A simple thought, a monitor like a salvator, large with normal body proportions, gets seven foot, keeing it in a 12 foot cage is like keeping a 18 ackie in a 24 inch cage. And no ackie keeper would do that. I think that should be a huge consideration when talking about species. Which is why I picked the gouldi complex. Big enough to not fall in a crack and small enough to be able to house properly.

My last question is this, I cannot understand how people would let a large Salvator loose in their house.

I hear that all the time. But simply cannot entertain that type of thinking.

A healthy large monitor with a normal body temp, would simply level your house. hahahahahahahahahaha mine would.

its not about being mean or agressive, its simply varanids are active and curious. They are also versitle, that is, they dig and climb. So everything up, will be down in short order.

Thanks and best wishes

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Some thoughts - bivittatus, Wed Jan 11 12:31:41 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Some thoughts - crocdoc2, Wed Jan 11 15:27:36 2012

<< Previous Message:  Captive Personality by Species - bsartin, Tue Jan 10 19:48:52 2012