return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Frank.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Tue Jan 17 17:02:48 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

I know all about keeping difficult reptiles. Gaboons, rhino vipers and bush vipers are some of the hardest reptiles to keep alive and to breed. As John stated, I am well known for my success with these species. I am no stranger to keeping and caring for varanids as Frank seems to think. I have been involved in the successful breeding of a few species.

My very first varanid was a sav. This was back in 1992. In the begining, The care I gave it was sub-par in todays varanid keeping standards. I learned a lot about keeping them through the years from John and my very good friend now resting in peace, Mark Bayless. I changed my way of keeping because of those two individuals and have done well.

Since my first ever sav, I have owned other various species like niles, ornates, black throats, white throats and croc monitors. John, what was it, 1994 when we first got those crocs? I got out of varanids to focus more on my venomous. Just as a side note, I have never had a monitor die in my care from being egg bound. I have bought a couple of crappy imports that have died shortly after buying them but never a healthy well started animal. Also John and myself were the first people in over 20 years to import Varanus spinulosus into the US 2 years ago. Got the paper work if anyone cares to see it.

Anyway, why I think nest boxes can solve some issues.
I have always offered nest boxes for my female varanids. Every species I have ever had that laid infertile eggs did so in a nest box without fail. This includes savannahs. To totally disregard the use of a nest box is foolish. I can not hurt to offer one and can actually solve a problem someone is having. What would someone have to loose by offering another laying option?

When I say Varanids are no different from any other reptile I mean that they will thrive just fine when given the proper environment. If you do not keep a garter snake properly it will not breed, thrive, or live long in your care. I am not saying you should keep a varanid like a cornsnake. I am saying if you keep a varanid properly, you will have no more issues than someone keeping a cornsnake properly. They are not creatures of habbit like Frank wants to have people believe. If that was the case, there would not be much that would keep them from breeding in captivity. They are animals that run on instict and environmental cues. They are lizards, not primates or pack animals. They do not need company or companionship. They would rather be solitary. Sure, you can find a few varanids under the same rock. I can lift a board and find 20 garters under it. This does not make them social.

Franks way works for him. Franks way does not work for everyone and Franks way is not the only way. There are many people who have success without doing anything like Frank. There are many more people who keep and breed varanids than most people realize. Just because they do not post here it does not mean they do not exist.

Frank, About the captive bred savannahs. They are a 2 dollar import. Is it really worth the time and effort to produce huge clutches of 5 dollar animals? For someone who really likes the species it would be worth it. For a breeder looking to capitalize on their work, not in the slightest. Hopefully the Savannah John and myself will be working with will help change that outlook and there will be lots of true captive born and bred savs on the market that can fetch more than 10 bucks each.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Frank. - murrindindi, Tue Jan 17 18:32:14 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Frank. - FR, Tue Jan 17 22:27:17 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Frank. - murrindindi, Tue Jan 17 11:48:11 2012