return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
pool banner - $50 year

GTP neonate ripped open while eating!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Green Tree Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: spmoberl at Sun Jan 15 15:27:46 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by spmoberl ]  

Looking for some feedback. I have never heard of such a thing before.

I have a neonate GTP that I just recently acquired, and got eating for me. I first gave it a pinky mouse and no problems. I went to get another pinky a few days later and all they had were fuzzies, so I gave it the small fuzzy and it ate it quickly with no problem.

About 7 days later I decided to give it another small fuzzy. The neonate bit onto the head, but then began swallowing from the rear. After about 10 minutes it seemed to be making decent progress, so I left it alone. Over an hour later I checked on it and it seemed exhausted with the fuzzy swallowed... but no further down than just past the jaws. I was concerned, and disturbed the GTP and it immediately regurgitated.

I then noticed that it must have been about to shed as some skin (shed shin) had began to peel back on its head. This was about 4 days ago.

Today, I gave it a pinky. It immediately took to swallowing it head first, but seemed to be tired, I thought it was just a little wore out. But then I saw the other side of its neck. With the pinky stretching the skin, I was able to see that a small (approx. 6mm) stretch of skin was torn. I could see the pinky inside the snake. I decided not to bother it and it finished swallowing in decent time.

Otherwise it seems to be doing fine. It just had a meal and is perching.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, how did the snake do afterward and in the long-run?
-----
steve

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Newly acquired designer GTP (fem.) 60/40 - CrocodilePaul, Thu Jan 19 21:49:24 2012
<< Previous topic:  color change - john dhont, Sat Jan 14 13:17:39 2012