return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Is it really though?

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Burmese Pythons ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: voodoomagik at Wed Jan 18 13:04:05 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by voodoomagik ]  

Thank you!

Of course, I would never support any movement to ban cats, but, exactly as you said, I feel that snakes are getting picked on because they’re so easy to turn into villains. It doesn’t sound as good to say “let’s ban Burmese pythons because they’re scary to us because we’re ignorant about them.” We promote ourselves as being based in logic and reason so we need to create other rationalizations such as the environment to justify creating laws that fly in the face of what our country is all about.

Let’s at least admit that this isn’t about conservation but about funding running out for the Everglades that Bill Nelson is trying to replace for his state. It’s also about re-election. I think many people thought that they could garner funds and popularity with voters by passing a Bill that they considered a “done deal.”

I think the mentality was that “no one cares about snakes.” They thought the Bill would go through with no resistance and that, in a Congress which has passed less legislation than all or most others, they could get their names into the history books as being some of the few Members of Congress to have actually passed something. I think they were surprised when the Reptile Nation showed up.

I don’t keep burms but I support your right to do so. (Boas are my thing.) I believe that we should work to overturn this rule change. I know that many of you do a wonderful and responsible job in doing what you do. I know that you have spent many hours and dollars to take good care of them. I know that a few “bad apples” have made a negative impact but believe that the norm is a responsible keeper.

I’m so sorry, you guys. Don’t give up though. I’m hoping USARK is working on something to reverse the damage done.

As a fellow keeper, I know how angry and sad you all must be.
Aaron
-----
www.voodoomagicboas.com

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Hide Replies ]

>> Next topic:  Promote this Message - Regarding Ban - KBuckler, Wed Jan 18 02:09:59 2012
<< Previous topic:  HELP STOP THE BAN! - robertgator, Sun Jan 15 12:07:08 2012