return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Father's Day! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - June 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - June 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - July 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - June 22, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - June 28, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - July 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - July 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - July 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - July 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Healthy Herp
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: For Gregg - Varanid Intelligence

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Tue Jan 24 19:02:07 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

There seems to be some confusion between 'social' and 'intelligent'. An animal can be intelligent, but not social.

Here's an old video of my pair of lace monitors, which have learned how to 'ask' to be let out of the enclosure and then how to be lifted out. This was done a few years ago when they first started learning this routine. The reward is simply getting some 'wandering around' time outside the enclosure. What they have learned to do is:

1. Not scratch at the glass.
2. Only wait on the right hand side of the enclosure.
3. Sit quietly and tongue flick
4. Lift their left arm and place it into my hand, specifically between my thumb and forefinger, so I can get a grip around their upper arm to enable me to lift them out.

This all seems simple, but if you were to see them doing this you'd realise that there is a fair bit of intelligence and memory involved. If one of them starts scratching at the glass or waiting at the wrong end of the enclosure, all I have to do is turn my head away to ignore them and they will almost immediately head to the correct side of the enclosure and sit there quietly.

They were a bit round-bellied when I shot this, as it was done over the course of a weekend that I was also doing some feeding videos.
video of monitor routine

I'll post an updated video in a few months when I have more time to do some editing. In the older video the arm placement sometimes looks accidental - my hand seems to be exactly where they'd place their arm, anyway, if they were trying to climb out. What'll be different with the new video is that I have several clips of the male sitting there with one arm waving in the air, waiting for me, so you get a good feel for how intentional the movement is. I'm in the process of training him to raise his arm higher before I even open the enclosure.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: For Gregg - Varanid Intelligence - jburokas, Tue Jan 24 23:31:39 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: For Gregg - Varanid Intelligence - Gregg_M_Madden, Tue Jan 24 17:12:21 2012