return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

Nest box results for Frank.

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Wed Jan 25 09:52:44 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

Hey Frank,
From my own experience with my own varanids and from working with John As animals for the past 7 or so years, this is what I have seen.

My own female vranids while never being with males still laid eggs. The first time I noticed one of my Savs was carrying eggs I spoke to my a friend. He told me to offer deeper substrate and to also offer a nest box. I did what he said. The female went into the nest box every time to deposite eggs even though she had the option to lay everywhere else in her cage. The same for every other female varanid I ever owned that dropped eggs.

When Johns sulfer Cody was alive, she also dropped her eggs in a garbage pail nest box even though she had a huge cage with deep substrate and leaf litter. She may have laid a few times out of the nest box as well.

With the dwarf varanids in Johns collection, John and myself came up with a % of the time they lay their eggs in the nest box over the rest of the cage. It is roughly 95 to 98% in the nest box even though the cages have many other good nesting options.
I can think of only two animals and a few times that they picked to lay fertile eggs outside the nest box and one of those animals and times was a female yellow ackie that could not use the nest box because the was already another female nesting in it. The Ackie that laid the eggs had the option to lay elsewhere but still went for the nest box option first. Maybe your bad luck with nest boxes has to do with your location in the US Frank. Maybe it is harder for you to control your temps than it is for us here in the North East. Whatever the case is, you can not discount nest boxes as a good option especially since there are people who have had great sucess with them.

Keep in mind that I care for Johns collection for 4 months out of the year when John is away and spend plenty of time there when he is home. I personally have dug dozens of eggs out of nest boxes while he was away and have had some animals of his breed under my watch. John is clearly much more experienced with varanids than I am. I have learned a lot from him. There is a reason why John has me care for his animals while he is away and it is not because of my lack of knowlege or his lack of options.

I will contine this debate/conversation as long as you keep it respectful.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Nest box results for Frank. - FR, Wed Jan 25 11:31:10 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: Nest box results for Frank. - MDFMONITOR, Wed Jan 25 15:47:37 2012