return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Massachusetts Herptile Laws

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Herp Law Center & Forum ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: MassLawGeek at Tue Jan 31 21:42:32 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by MassLawGeek ]  

>>Let me ask this question of the previous poster though as you said you are very familiar with Ma. laws. What possible purpose is there for a blanket restriction on all monitors when several of the most popular species (spiny tails) are less than 2 ft in length and 100% of them are captive bred since importation from Australia is illegal. I partly understand the larger species being regulated, by why not just name the larger species?
>>
>>Also, why does the name Michael Dorca keep coming up in these articles which discuss all the negatives about pythons being in the everglades, including this latest study he led which claims there is a huge decline in mammals in which he implicates the python population as the probable reason.

Question number one: A restriction on all monitor lizards is currently in place to keep unqualified and unprepared people from purchasing them and also because when the rule was enacted well over twenty years ago, most monitor lizards were wild-caught imports, which did poorly in captivity.

Remember: once an animal becomes "de-listed," it is free to become available in petshops. Unqualified/unprepared people frequent petshops regularly (when I say petshops, I mean PetCo and PetSmart). That cute hatchling Savannah monitor for $50.00 looks just like a dinosaur to every ten-year old who looks at it, but whose parents just don't understand how fast they grow and what the caging requirements will be a few years down the road. Or how hard that animal will be to get rid of when it's four feet in length and 60 pounds.

Reportedly this year (?) Spiny-tailed monitors (ackies) will become de-listed due in large part to their ease of care and small size.

Before you ask, I am aware that surrounding states such as New Hampshire allow the sale of all Varanus ssp. Massachusetts is not concerned with what other states choose to do.

Question number two: A Google search turns up the name "Michael Dorcas," who appears to be a professor/wildlife biologist for the University of Florida. He wrote a paper called "Burmese pythons in south Florida: Scientific support for invasive species management." There is no date as to when this paper was written, but it was one of the first ones that I read on the subject over five years ago. He appears to be an authority. Glad I could help

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: Massachusetts Herptile Laws - klancey, Tue Jan 31 12:02:44 2012