return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: long term low level dehydration

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Wed Feb 1 13:59:10 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi Wayne, I am so sorry for you loss.

But what occurred is exactly what I said would happen. And I said that because its so very common.

The problem is all the hogwash thats out there, like insect diet and fatty liver and many other ailments that vets have no idea what causes them.

Dehydration is without question a huge problem, and it your case, its not low levels. I believe all captive monitors are subject to undue dehydration. The reason is not humidity, Is water loss from prolonged exposure.

I hope you can understand this, These animals spend 90% of their lives in burrow with a midlevel humidity, aprox 50% to 60%, then they wedge in where there is very little air touching the skin.

ALso, drinking water in nature is NOT AVAILABLE, so they conserve water by staying in tight places and only gain water from their food. FOR A VAST MAJORITY OF THEIR LIVES. Of course seasonally a rain may allow them to fill up. But that cannot be counted on, so its not.

In captivity we heat AIR in cages and that HOT air raises and dehydrates all it passes over. So with hot spots, you actually create a dehydration machine. This is why we use low wattage bulbs very close to the basking area. SO you do not heat lots of air. ITs also why we use deep substrate, so the animals not only have a humidity mass, but can duplicate nature and stay sheltered in burrows.

In captivity, they can come out more because they feed on a regular schedule.

Heres the deal, you have reasons to think what you did was right, insects, exercise etc. So you were so confident.

The problem is, those are not whats killing the monitors.

AGain I told you your monitor was not right. And you did not believe me.

A healthy monitor does not act the way yours did. And its not about tame.

Try to understand this, how easy would it be for a dog or hawk to catch your sav? ANSWER please.

In nature and that is what they are designed for. They will not venture out unless they are at full operating temps. WHY, because nature is full of predators that make your dog or hawk seem like a liteweight. They have to operate at full speed.

How would you like to go for a walk when your body temps are 90F hahahahahahaha you would die.

The above is where the answer is, these animals must obtain full operating temps and avoid deydration.

That is what killed your monitor. It was not diet or exercise.

Please forgive me for being blunt, but we did go over this tooth and claw. I am very sorry for your loss. As I said, this has happened so many times before you.

You know, the nice healthy monitor DYING. As you found out, it may have looked healthy, but it wasn't.

And I am sorry for all that crap information thats out there. Good luck

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: long term low level dehydration - dekaybrown, Wed Feb 1 14:19:13 2012
>> Next Message:  I'm so sorry Frank - dekaybrown, Wed Feb 1 15:26:33 2012
>> Next Message:  RE: long term low level dehydration - Paradon, Wed Feb 1 20:23:24 2012

<< Previous Message:  long term low level dehydration - dekaybrown, Wed Feb 1 13:06:33 2012 *HOT TOPIC*