return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: Help! rescued sick savannah monitor!

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Sun Feb 5 12:26:00 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

Hi, and I do wish you the best of luck, if you indeed "rescue" this individual, then indeed its a rescue.

First, I have no idea what the outcome will be with your monitor. But most folks do not understand the abilities of healthy monitors. Use those abilities.

Both you and Cindy prejudice your statements. That is, it "needs" this or will perish without that. Those statements are not accurate, but of course not necessarily false either. Any and all monitors can perish.

The reality is, reptiles and monitors can survive servere physical impact. they have an incredible ability to heal and regenerate.

As an example, I have seen many varanids of various species in nature, that survived burns that included burning the tail off, and most the the skin on the back was burned off. These species ranged from small, ackies and brevis, to V.p.rudibis(argus type)

In captivity, we have unfortunately experienced burns much worse then those on your Sav, they can have full recoveries.

The point here is to support the immune system. This is of prime importance.

The fact that that individual is still alive with that type of serious burn, even after kept poorly, indicates its a strong individual.

I recomend supporting that individuals immune system with proper temps, most importantly a high basking temps, and proper cooler choices as well.

In this case, you really need to understand, that 99% of temperature regulation occurs while inside and not exposed to direct heat. of course a hot bulb would not be comfortable with those burns. But gaining heat while under a board or in a burrow, or hollow, is what is REQUIRED in this case and as normal husbandry.

Of course I am not saying do not take the Sav to the vet, I am saying, start with proper conditions, then if necessary, have the work done. If you provide good choices, that individual could heal in a few weeks and will not require a vet visit or surgery.

Please understand, I love Cindy, I do. hahahahahahahaha don't tell Virg. The key is indeed education. To fix or rescue an animal, you really need to have a model to work from. Or a goal to work to. Their natural abilities are both the model and goal.

The key is understanding how to support the amazing immune system these monitors have.

Also, this is the part thats most commonly left out, even by vets. Vets are famous for doing what they understand, the use of meds etc. As a keeper, you are required to be responsible to stand up for your charges and their abilities. Then balance the two, to a successful result.

Its after health has been restored that you can then clain a RESCUE. OH and finding a supportive home. Good luck and best wishes.

And Cindy, I meant what I said.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: Help! rescued sick savannah monitor! - PHFaust, Tue Feb 7 09:26:44 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Help! rescued sick savannah monitor! - ez2bbad64, Thu Feb 2 23:00:44 2012