return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
pool banner - $50 year

RE: Wild Observations

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Mountain Kingsnakes ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Paul Lynum at Tue Feb 7 22:33:38 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Paul Lynum ]  

I spend most of the year in the field with zonata being one of the most often snakes I seek to observe. They are my favorite herp and always have been. I've found somewhere around 1400 of them in the past 25 years in the wild throughout their range, except Ore and WA. I've have found the disease in the wild in two different mountain ranges in So. Cal. Two were found the same day on Mount Palomar in separate rock outcroppings. The other was 3 specimens the same day in the San Bernardino Mountains in the same rock outcropping. I found a very young adult that had the severe bad skin and nerve problems. under the rock next to were that snake was found was a very large adult pair. Both of those snakes were in the same bad shape. None of the 3 snakes could crawl without going in to violent shakes. I have been to both mountain ranges several times since then and have found perfectly fine animals in the same rock piles.

There's more questions than answers when it comes to "Mountain King Disease'. My intent is to share my experiences and not influence Stu or anyone else what to do with their animals or how to handle their problems. Unfortunately, anyone working with zonata will most likely have the problem hit eventually. It's a risk we take working with them. It's up to whomever to do what they want if their zonata were succumb to this awful and painful event. Hope this brings a little more light to the table.

PL

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  were those snakes that were shaking - CMSMITH, Wed Feb 8 00:36:13 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE: Some personal experience - Paul Lynum, Tue Feb 7 22:19:44 2012