return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Join USARK - Fight for your rights!
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Polar Rodents - US based provider of frozen rats and mice.
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: FR at Mon Feb 6 10:30:59 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by FR ]  

You stated, the bulk of the range is not tropical.

Let me be the devils advocate, Where does the tropics start? better yet, at what part of their range is there consistant warm conditions, where other monitors become abundant, you know, not termite mound nesters.

So lets take a look at this, Lacies occur from south of Sydney, to a little north of Carins. With anything north of Brisbane being without a cold winter. And the area where varanid species become more abundant.

So in reality, Lacies are not at all restricted to colder ozzie climates, and in fact have a extensive range in the area considered "Tropical". The Tropic if capricorn pretty much disects LACIE range in half, does it not?

So to me, your saying your Southern lacies may be termite nesters, but surely they are not obligate termite mound nesters. Not as a species or even your local Lacies.

I asked you this question many years ago, How many lacies lay eggs each and every year, in their whole range? how many lacie nests have been recorded?

To make it simple, there are tens of thousands of lacies nesting yearly, yet only a handful of mound nests have been discovered. Consider, termite mound nests leave a taletail scare, so they are identifiable, is that a word, hahahahaha

Yet you feel free to say, LACIES perfer termite mounds, which I feel is wrong for many reasons. But you can say is, your female, you have only bred one female right? perfers a nest box.

The point could be made that you have not tested other types of nests. But there is not need to go there.

The reality is, many individual monitors lay eggs in termite mounds, for the reasons you mentioned. But those monitors also nest in many other ways as well.

The point can also be made that the use of nest boxes is very situational. That is, works best in cold climates. I know here, they are more successful in our winter, I am using one now as we speak, but they are of no use in our summer, when most of our monitors lay. Its simply too hot about substrate level. Consider, our normal room temps in my area is around 80F so any kind of heat lamp takes the above substrate area way above the temps you mentioned. So any box sitting on the ground is HOT. Therefore not usable.

Which I believe is a very common problem with varanid cages.

The problem with this discussion is, anytime we nest a varanid in a cage, the cage is restrictive and is a nest box of sorts. Anytime you put a favorable box inside a cage with unfavorable conditions, its even more restrictive. This has often caused stress with varanids. Of course you can get it right if you know what your doing and the timing is right.

Now Crocdoc, you may have a good idea of what your LACIE(one lacie?) needs, so you can support her in your conditions, with your education level of her and lacies around your area. I ask, do you think others have that same understanding and feel as you?

So to recomend a very restrictive box to those without your understanding of your local lacies and their nesting perferences, may not be all that wise. I would think offering others the best chance at success is a better option.

Now, with that out of the way, have you tested or considered filling your females cage with many options of tight secure places to nest and see is that changes anything.

As I tried to discuss below, its about results, and your results are what, one or two clutches a year, maybe three. With with whole cage nesting we had many females lay five clutches a year. Perfectly sucessful at that.

I do think we both agree, with varanids, nesting is of prime importance, so this conversation is not an A or Z type discussion, but rather one of what will help others allow their varanids a good chance of success and repeated success. So to disucss this is a very good think. Thanks

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - crocdoc2, Mon Feb 6 19:38:56 2012

<< Previous Message:  more on nest boxes, from below - crocdoc2, Sun Feb 5 21:22:56 2012