return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
Layne Labs - Natural Diets for Pets & Wildlife
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Tue Feb 7 16:42:53 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

That's a good question, Stefan - do they target an above ground option first in captivity? I honestly don't know the answer to that. My female has done cursory digs in the substrate at times, while cycling, but has always chosen the nest box in which to lay. Her very first digs at the start of every cycle, though, are in the nest box.

Lace monitors would have little difficulty targeting mounds in the wild and in most areas it's hard to find a mound that doesn't have signs of at least some lace monitor activity. The one exception is a spot I found last year that seemed to be ideal for termites, so there were stacks of mounds in a very small area and most of those had no sign of monitor activity. The monitors were spoiled for choice.

An important factor here is that these aren't tropical animals and only a very small proportion of the population lives in the tropics. To get a female to nest in the substrate, at very least part of the substrate would have to be heated to that sweet spot of 30C, which would mean the whole enclosure would be warmer than it should (or need) be. The other thing to consider is that when local female lace monitors start their cycles in spring and are checking out nest sites, the ground temperature would be nowhere near what they are looking for.

Getting back to those first test digs in the nest box that I mentioned at the start of this post, they are usually in the form of what I call 'nose holes'. She digs a bit and then pushes her nose right into the substrate, forming a little conical hole. I can't say for sure, but if I were to guess I'd say monitors use their snout to determine the temperature within potential nest sites.

Here's a little sequence I took a couple of years ago. I had just repacked the nest box a short while before I took this photograph. The pair had climbed on top, as that's the spot at which I let them out of the enclosure - the female immediately checked out the new substrate in the nest box.

A short while later, there was substrate on the lid of the nest box and it looked like this:

I lifted the lid of the nest box and took a photograph of the nose hole she had made:

I know this female well enough that if I saw no physical changes in her appearance and no other behaviour, that nose hole would be enough for me to know she'd started a cycle.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - MikesMonitors, Tue Feb 7 17:55:12 2012 image in post

<< Previous Message:  RE: here is where it belongs, hahahaha - murrindindi, Tue Feb 7 15:59:51 2012