return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE: tying in wild vs captive with photos

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: crocdoc2 at Tue Feb 7 19:34:48 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by crocdoc2 ]  

The females do release the young from the mounds but the how and why has been conjectured for years. My theory is that cycling females doing test digs early in the season inadvertently release the previous year's young. Monitors are creatures of habit and will likely keep returning to the same termite mound to nest if it keeps working. I've looked at data from studies of wild monitors and there would be hatchlings in the mound at almost exactly the same time as the wild females start cycling for the next clutch.

The big question is, would they still be able to escape if the female didn't let them out? My guess is yes. This is where it gets interesting. Heath monitors, Varanus rosenbergi, nest in mounds constructed by the very same species of termite. They have a shorter incubation period, though, so they nest later than lace monitors in order for their hatchlings to emerge in spring. What this means is that female heath monitors are not cycling/digging at the time their eggs are hatching, so the hatchlings must escape on their own. A mate has photographed babies emerging and cruelly sent them to me at work, from his phone. I say 'cruelly' because the evening before we had a chat about heath monitors at a herp meeting and when he told me he was envious of me seeing females nesting I told him he should keep a look out for emerging babies, as they should start appearing at that time of year. He had a job which gave him free afternoons and he would often go mountain-biking in an area that was full of heath monitors, so the very next day he went out and found babies emerging. What are the chances of that? Sadly, all I've seen so far is the tiny holes the babies make when they emerge.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

<< Previous Message:  RE: tying in wild vs captive with photos - MikesMonitors, Tue Feb 7 18:03:56 2012