return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research
full banner - advertise here .50¢/1000 views
click here for Rodent Pro
$50 banner pool - click here

RE:Lets try again

[ Login ] [ User Prefs ] [ Search Forums ] [ Back to Main Page ] [ Back to Monitors ] [ Reply To This Message ]
[ Register to Post ]

Posted by: Gregg_M_Madden at Sat Feb 11 13:48:50 2012  [ Report Abuse ] [ Email Message ] [ Show All Posts by Gregg_M_Madden ]  

Firstly Frank, name one of your "East coast friends" who told you I have no experience with varanids. Name one who said that all I do is hognose snakes. LOL. You just reach and make stuff up like most of your successes. Truth being Frank, you do not have any "East Coast friends" who know me if you really have any at all.

If you really did a small amount of digging up on me you would be adding quite a few more species to the list of reptiles I have successfully kept and bred. Like I have said, I have kept numerous varanids before I dove into venomous snakes. Just because I do not keep varanids in my home anymore, it does not mean I do not have plenty of experience with them. I know enough to keep them alive and healthy and enough to breed them myself if I ever want to keep them here at my house. So until I have the space to keep them here, I will just work with Johns collection and with animals and with projects I am part owner of.

I guess because I am not buying everything you say and because I am not one of your brown nosers, it makes me your target. That is fine Frank, because what you say has no effect on me.

So, tell me, how will offering nest boxes to varanids be harmful? How can offering an extra option be detrimental to someones monitors? Remember, I have said it is not a substitute for deep substrates.

Now for Frank and Murindindi.
Why do we need to use data to determine if nest boxes work? Possitive results do not need to be put in the form of data. They do work and they work well. If you do not want to offer the option of a nest box, that is fine. Your animals, your choice. You want data on them working but Frank has offered no data of them not working.

Also, there are many species of reptiles that are commonly bred in captivity that do not lay their eggs in termit mounds yet they reliably lay eggs in nest boxes. The reason they do this is because they are looking for the right conditions like temperatures, humidity levels, and security, not because it looks like something they would deposite eggs in if they were in the wild. A properly set up nest box offers all of the above. Some of the FR lovers seem to ignore this fact. Just offering deep substrates will not make you successful. Offering options will. A nest box is just another option. One that has been very useful and successful from my experience. Yes Frank, my experience even if it is "just" experience working with a collection other than mine.

[ Reply To This Message ] [ Subscribe to this Thread ] [ Show Entire Thread ]

>> Next Message:  RE:Lets try again - RickAlbig, Sat Feb 11 14:21:45 2012

<< Previous Message:  RE:Lets try again - FR, Sat Feb 11 12:47:10 2012